New dad, eja117 has been feeling a little melancholy and posted the 10 things that has made him the saddest in Boston Celtics history (starting with 1987):
1 Reggie Lewis
2. Watching Bird hobbling around for the Dream Team realizing his career was very over and had been over for a while
3. Losing out on the Oden/Durant lottery
4. Losing Duncan and then seeing him win 4 championships
5. Trading Delonte as a result of #3
6. Realizing when Pitino was saying “Bird isn’t coming through that door” what he was really saying was “I’m not that good a coach and I hate you Boston fans. Your dreams of a Kentucky style championship dynasty were and remain foolish”.
7. Seeing a picture of Pitino smiling on the cover of his book “Success is a Choice”.
8. When they tore down the Garden.
9. When they called the new building the “Fleet Center”.
10. When I realized Montross wouldn’t be good.
After reading Eja's list, I thought I would add my own list of my 10 saddest Celtics related memories.
1. Len Bias. I had to go back before 1987 for this one but this was one of the saddest times in Celtics history.
2 The death of Reggie Lewis
3. Seeing the big three age and become ineffective
4. When Larry Bird left the Celtics for the Pacers
5. The death of Red Auerbach
6. The death of Dennis Johnson, and the fact that he was never elected to the HOF.
7. Tearing down the Garden
8. The whole Rick Pitino era
9. Tie: Losing the lottery twice when we should have won it.
1. Death of Red Auerbach 2. Death of Reggie Lewis 3. Death of Dennis Johnson 4. Death of len Bias 5. Missing Tim Duncan 6. Missing Oden/Durant 7. Pitino Era 8. M.L. Carr Era 9. Paul Pierce Stabbing 10. Larry Bird Retirement